My thoughts on Giovanni Falcone and people’s view of the Mafia.

The 23th of May commemorates the anniversary of Giovanni Falcone, who sacrificed his
life to the fight against the Mafia. In the past some people around the world used to refer to Italians as “Mafiosi” (they still do it) not knowing what a big shame this adjective is for the country.

Nowadays the country is still fighting against it. Sometimes on the Internet I have seen posts where people sexualise the mafia, most of the time because they have watched romantic TV shows about it, where the mafia boss is actually a good person and stuff like that. They even underrate the big problem that the mafia causes and they forget how many people the mafia has killed.

One of the biggest shame is when you talk to a foreigner and they refer to you as a “mafioso” just because of your nationality. I actually find it really racist. Italy is really fighting against the mafia. People should know how many politicians live with a bodyguard 24/7 because they have expressed their thoughts against it.

I really hope that, with time, the mafia will be defeated, but if we all keep staying silent, especially people who have more power than the average citizen before certain situations, we will never get over it.